Sunday, March 28, 2010

Jervis Bay Day 1

March 26th

Beautiful Australian countryside on the ride to Jervis Bay
Back to the good old days of boy scouts. We met up for a 4 hour (not 2) drive south to Jervis Bay. Upon arrival, we had to pitch our tents and set up cots for our sleeping bags. It was quite the ordeal. I think my dad pitched my tent for me whenever I went camping because it always seemed simpler than this.

Hope this tent stays up!
It turns out that a humongous wild kangaroo was relaxing about 10 feet from my tent. It was adorable to say the least but also quite vicious. I tried petting it and it growled at me. I do not want to mess with something with such massive claws.That was not even the last wild kangaroo I saw today up close.

Probably not a good time to tell this joey what is for dinner tomorrow...Hey kangaroo hay!
I walked with Amanda, Yvanka, Zach, and Brad to the beach that was right nearby. We walked along the rocky outcropping looking out to the bay. We enjoyed ourselves a little too much because we ended up late for dinner.

Brad, Zach, and Yvanka on the edge of the outcropping
After dinner we went to to hear aboriginal stories by fireside while eating damper, a sort of traditional Australian bread. Our tour guide was Barry an older tribesman. He talked about their misplacement by white settlers and about the community they have nearby. They have a say in the running of the Jervis Bay Park. They were luckily not the victims of the stolen generation, where Australian settlers literally stole kids from their parents to 'civilize them'.


Early morning wake up tomorrow to go bushwalking, surfing, and then hang out on the beach!


Jono De Costa

No comments:

Post a Comment