Friday, February 19, 2010

beaches and stripos

Feb 19th

Opera House from the ferry
The harbour cruise took us right by the bay yesterday, but the rest of the day was relatively uneventful.

Harbour Bridge from the ferry
Today was much different, I took a ferry from Circular Quay (pronounced 'key') to Manly. Manly beach had some of the softest sand I've ever encountered. The waves were ridiculously big though. I made the mistake of going in with my sunglasses on, and they got swept away. My back tanned up incredibly when I was on the beach. It may have even burnt a bit unfortunately, because the sun beats strong here with less ozone protecting you.

Manly Beach
On the return we ran into a little country music festival. I like the general vibe of Manly. It's supposed to be less crowded than Bondi, and there was actually room to move about.

Later on in the night I met up with my new found Australian friends through Xan. I hung out in Xan's room for awhile with some other Americans. One of them asked all the Australians in the room if they had ever heard of Honey and bees. So I was kind of making fun of him, but all in good fun. I noticed Xan had an xbox 360 and I kept on surprisingly going "Wait? You have video games?!" all night. Apparently, I should introduce myself as Jono while I am here.

They showed me Kings Cross (the red light district). It actually was much more hopping than Kings Street in Newtown. Tons of crowded bars, and several sleazy strip clubs (stripos) as well. Xan knew some guy names Jason at one of the bars, so we got some free drinks, and pizzas. It was nice being shown which were the best places to go in the district.

I went right by the famous coca-cola sign several times in the night, which is the largest billboard in the southern hemisphere.

Keep it level!


Jonathan De Costa

No comments:

Post a Comment