Tuesday, February 2, 2010

It Begins

The world grows smaller each day. The average man once marveled at a massive earth, but now with all 4 corners of the earth covered, man no longer seeks new earthen soil. We created a great empire, both vast and diverse. New technology, airplanes, and cars, and the ilk have made the world so conveniently small for explorers. They have allowed them to explore but taken out much of the mystery of exploring and have also diminished to a degree individual culture. Now I am not here to trash our globalized world. After all, even though technology made the world small the world is big.

I've been noticing lately how apparently contradictory a lot of things are, just like that last sentence, but a lot of life really exists in duality. Up until lately the notion of being a writer seemed magical. Writers are purveyors of truth and all things majestic, invariably gods among men, at least in a sense. Then I met some writers and they weren't gods, only mere mortals. In fact many of them were alcoholics. It was disheartening to watch the glamour and the gods fade; I lost hope of my dream thinking it impossible. Then the miraculous happened and inspiration flowed through me like electricity in a wire, and I started to write, and it felt magical. I now realize that I can be a regular man and also become a name that lives on as a separate entity, and that's duality for you. Many names are lost in the facade of time, and yet many shall prosper like that of Homer, becoming more than just their regular selves. We shall see in time where my name lie.

But that's the future. For now, I wish to tell you a simple tale of my journeys in this tiny wonderful world. You see, I'm going to live in Sydney soon for a semester abroad, and I intend to document it. Perhaps it will be filled with insights or perhaps just some exciting simplistic tales of life in Australia. I have a large list of things to do in just Sydney alone, a lot of them touristy, some of them less touristy, hopefully all of them intriguing enough to write about. So you who are reading. You friend of mine. You relative. You stranger. If all ends well, it will be as if you have been there. I can paint for you a picture of another world, and you may tour it, or you may live in it, or never even see it. Whether you end up as lucky as me in visiting Sydney or not, I hope you'll enjoy the journey portrayed.


Keep it level!



Jonathan De Costa

P.S. It may be a while before my next post, as I will not have access to a computer for a few weeks, but I'll still be writing.


Upcoming dates:
February 4th: I fly out with my dad to Los Angeles
February 9th: I leave my dad and fly out from LAX to Melbourne
February 11th-14th: Orientation and then I fly out to Sydney!


No comments:

Post a Comment