Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Finally in Sydney

Feb 14th
My flat
Flew out to Sydney and took a group coach to Sydney University Village. The complex is rather charming with a main gathering area, a convenience store, and a bar. My room is bigger than my normal dorm room, and is on the 4th floor. It has a larger bed and it's own private bathroom, so not bad.

King Street is literally at my doorstep! It is comparable to a Harvard Square trendy college area, only it extends about 2 km. There are a ton of trendy bars and restaurants lining the street.

I walked a 15 minute walk to Broadway, another street lined with shops, and bought some kitchenware at Kmart. I ended up putting everything in a shopping trolley and taking it home. The trolleys don't go straight forward, they kind of go sideways down the road.

The walk to broadway was all along Syd U. It is the oldest university in Australia and certainly shows a colonial architectural influence to back it up.

Later in the night I went to an Irish pub and got a schooner of Carlton beer (very good). A schooner is what they call about 20 fl oz of beer, so the mid-ranged size below a pint. Australians seem so relaxed. I love this city so far! They have no problem stopping and chatting.

Unfortunately, I've seen a lot of cockroaches around....

Keep it level!


Jonathan De Costa

No comments:

Post a Comment